What is Antique Sound Workshop?
- For over forty-five years, we have dedicated ourselves to improving the standard of recorder playing, one instrument at a time. The above link will tell you everything you need to know (and quite possibly more than you ever wanted to know) about who we are and what we offer, as well as detailed information about our history, our publications, and our sales policies. If you can't find the answer here, there is always E-mail, telephone, fax, or [shudder] snail mail for the hopelessly retro.
What Instruments Do You Offer?
- Our extensive on-line ASW catalogue offers hundreds of different models of recorders and a large number of other historical woodwind, brass, string, keyboard, and percussion instruments. Our sheet music catalogue contains more than 15,000 titles the last time we counted, but our annotated list of the most frequently ordered items is a good place to start. Feel free to download and print out any specific catalogue pages in which you are interested. However, if you're looking for something very specific or want professional guidance and advice, you are welcome to call us during our regular business hours Monday-Friday from 10AM-6PM.
What If I Need More Information?
- Our ASW Information Bulletins will provide you with concise, detailed, and authoritative information on various aspects of the recorder and its playing technique. If you need a crash course in some specific subject, this is a good place to start. Beginners will want to read the first five bulletins in the order listed. If you have questions not answered here, feel free to call us, but do bear in mind H. L. Mencken's dictum: "For every complex question, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." To which we would add the corollary: "For every simple question, the only correct answer is long, complex, and detailed."
How Do I Place My Order?
- We ask that all orders for plastic recorders, accessories, and/or sheet music be placed using our ASW Order Form. This will enable us to process and fill your order much more quickly, efficiently, and accurately. Credit card information may be safely left on our office answering machine outside of our regular business hours if desired; please include your name and your credit card's number and expiration date. Because of the great volume of orders for our custom-tuned plastic recorders, we are not able to accept telephone orders for or answer calls about these items if we are also to continue to provide time-consuming custom service for such inexpensive items; they are what they are. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
The Antique Sound Workshop Blog
Current News and Notices for Our Customers
UPS has increased its Ground and Air shipping rates an average of 4.9% for 2020, effective as of December 26th, 2019. We pack all orders very carefully in order to minimize the cost to our customers and charge exactly the amount that UPS charges us for their services -- we do not pad shipping charges or make guesstimates as is frequently done by other mail order merchants. We will continue to provide free UPS Ground Shipping for all domestic orders that total over $250 to the 48 continguous states, but domestic orders totaling less than $250 will be billed for shipping at the new 2020 rates. We ship packages to international destinations, Alaska, Hawaii, and some other US destinations via USPS Priority Mail when there is a significant cost saving or service advantage for our customers. We are no longer using Fedex because of recent declines in service quality.
We recently received our initial shipments of the low-pitch a'=415 Hz. version of the extremely successful Zen-On Bressan baroque alto recorder, and are now busy servicing and shipping orders for this outstanding new instrument. By working long days and weekends, we succeeded in delivering all pre-orders for this instrument placed during October and November before the end of December as promised. We thank all of our customers for their patience in awaiting delivery. We have also been able to post a lower price for this model than we had originally anticipated, and all pre-orders were adjusted and billed at the new lower price.
Because of CITES shipping restrictions in effect for the past two years, Stephan Blezinger was unable to supply us with instruments made of grenadilla. However, we are now happy to announce that, because of recent revisions to the CITES regulations, he is once again able to supply us with his Bressan by Blezinger and Late Baroque instruments in grenadilla as well as Brazilian or European boxwood. And in even more welcome news, thanks to continued improvement in the exchange rate, we have been able to post appreciably lower prices for all of his instruments for 2020 effective immediately.
Mollenhauer redesigned their Kynsecker series of reproduction renaissance recorders for 2018. These new models are in stock for immediate delivery. We are selling out our few remaining original Kynsecker models at a 20% discount as long as current supplies last. Most models are already sold out, but we have a very few of the maple models stiall available. This is a unique opportunity to acquire these fine renaissance recorders at bargain prices.
We are pleased to announce the availability of the all-new Zen-On Model G-1A Bressan copy baroque reproduction alto recorder. This fine instrument is, quite simply, the most musical plastic recorder we have yet played, and we are giving it our highest recommendation for customers seeking an inexpensive yet rewarding plastic alto recorder. It has already become our best-selling plastic alto recorder in a very short period of time. Additional design and performance information is available here on our website. We have worked our way through the backlog of preorders and these instruments can now be delivered within one week from receipt of order. Please place your orders for this instrument via our ASW Order Form. We are not able to accept telephone or E-mail orders for plastic recorders, nor can we answer individual inquiries about them if we are to continue to provide without charge our custom-tuning service that in fact far exceeds the actual cost of the instrument. We are able to service just a few of these instruments each day in addition to our regular workshop schedule. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
We have recently received two excellent new anthologies of renaissance pieces for soprano recorder and keyboard with an accompanying CD. These publications are welcome additions to the earlier series of four previous publications of baroque music with accompanying CD recording from the same publisher that have been available for several years. The format is identical to the earlier releases: each volume contains 32 well-chosen pieces for soprano recorder complemented by pedagogically and historically sound performance practice suggestions in three languages, and the CD provides recordings of both just the keyboard accompaniment and a complete finished performance by solo instrument and keyboard. These volumes provide a substantial amount of music and excellent professional instruction at the same bargain price as the earlier four releases. They are a must-have for all intermediate level soprano recorder players, but especially for those who do not have access to or cannot afford a professional artist-teacher. Update (03/21/2018): as anticipated, a third volume, for alto recorder and keyboard, has just been released and is now in stock. A fourth volume, also for alto recorder and keyboard, is planned for future release and expected in the coming months.
We are pleased to announce that, after an absence of several years from the American market caused by the demise of the maker's former American distributor, we are once again able to offer Zen-On plastic and wooden recorders to our customers. Even better news, we are able to offer these instruments at prices that are up to 30% lower than their previous American list prices, making them easily among the most affordable of high quality plastic and wooden recorders currently available. The wood-grain finish plastic Stanesby Jr. soprano and Bressan alto recorders, as well as their wooden greatbass recorder, are no longer available. The good news, however, is that their wooden recorders have been recently redesigned and are now substantially better in tone quality, intonation, and response than the older models. Thanks to a special pricing agreement with the maker, the Zen-On cherrywood keyed tenor and the direct blow and bocal blow bass recorders, both of which now have curved windways, are less expensive than those currently available from European makers and provide outstanding performance at a bargain price. The Stanesby, Jr. and Bressan baroque plastic models are now in stock in large quantity for immediate delivery. The wooden models are in stock in limited quantity at the moment, but we will have more on the way soon.
Hal Leonard has just published a remarkable and quite inexpensive self-teaching method offering a intensive programmed course of instruction which allows any musician to develop a highly accurate sense of pitch recognition in just seven weeks of study. Adam Perlmutter's Perfect Pitch Method consists of a text book, three CDs, and additional on-line audio resources as well. We highly recommend this well-written, pedagogically-sound, and extremely useful course of self-instruction to all beginning, intermediate, and advanced level players who wish to develop and improve their sense of intonation, pitch recognition, and overall musicianship with a modest amount of effort in just a very short period of time.
In 2016 Yamaha released the first additions to their series of plastic recorders in almost twenty years: their new 400 Series Plastic Recorders are identical in acoustical design to their present 300 series, but the new models are being made of a new composite material named Ecodear, which consists of 70% ABS plastic resin and 30% plant-based resin -- all previous models have been made of 100% ABS plastic. These new instruments are yellow in color and similar to boxwood in appearance, with white imitation ivory trim similar to that in the 300 series instruments. In addition to being more ecologically friendly, the new recorders have a more covered, warmer tone quality that some customers feel is more like a wooden recorder. The Ecodear soprano and alto recorders are now in stock at ASW and are priced in between the original brown plastic YRS-302B and YRA-302B instruments and the newer woodgrain-finish YRS-312B, YRS-314B, YRA-312B, and YRA-314B models.
We have undertaken the sale of a very large and comprehensive estate collection of several hundred recorders, historical woodwind, brass, and string instruments. Included are recorders by Fehr, Huber, Küng, Mollenhauer, Roessler, Adler-Heinrich, Moeck, Hopf, Blezinger, and many other makers, as well as historical woodwind instruments by Körber, Moeck, Hanchet, Wood, and Sweet, cornetts by Christopher Monk, Moeck, and Kđrber, brass instruments by Dotzauer, and string instruments by Ellis, Folkcraft, and Kelischeck -- this is only a partial listing. Most of these instruments are unused and in mint condition. Thus far, we have gotten the entire collection catalogued and priced, but it will take us several months to service all of the instruments in our workshop and have them ready for delivery. The first of these instruments are already listed for sale in Carlton's Clearance Corner. Customers are welcome to inquire about specific instruments or sets of instruments in which they might be interested. Update: a second group of fifty instruments has just been added to the listings. Further update: a third group of instruments, including vintage Fehr II and Küng II recorders, has now been posted to our listings of these instruments.
We are able to accept a complete selection of credit cards for payment: in addition to VISA and MasterCard, we now also accept payment by Discover, Diners Club, JCB, and American Express. Please also note that we no longer are required to submit the three-digit CCV code for VISA transactions. Our ASW Order Form has been updated to accommodate these additional possibilities for payment. As always, we ask that customers please submit their orders using our on-line order form, so that we may fill your order as expeditiously as possible.
Customers placing orders via our on-line ASW Order Form and requesting shipping via UPS Ground, Air, or International services will automatically receive detailed shipping, tracking, and delivery information via E-mail. Any delivery delays caused by adverse weather conditions or other problems will also be rescheduled and reported. If you wish to have us send this information to multiple E-mail addresses, simply provide the additional addresses in the information box at the bottom of the order form. Orders placed by phone, fax, or E-mail must be processed manually, which causes more delay in processing and shipping and does not allow for automatic confirmation and shipping notification.
We confirm all orders and answer all inquiries promptly. A few customers have reported that they did not receive our order confirmations or shipping notifications, due to overly-aggressive spam filtration by their Internet Service Provider or E-mail client. Please be certain that aswltd.com and ups.com are trusted domains in your server and personal E-mail security settings if you wish to insure that you will receive our communications. We are not able to provide personal IT support to our customers.
ASW Staff E-Mail Addresses
- In order to serve you more efficiently, each member of our staff now has his or her own E-mail address. Our ASW staff directory provides you with quick and easy-to-use E-mail reply forms.
How to Place Your Order
- If you want to "cut to the chase" and place an order now, go to our ASW Order Form. If you want to send us an order by E-mail, please contact our Sales Department at sales(at)aswltd.com. You may also call, fax, or write us.
What's New at Antique Sound Workshop?
- You will find here direct links to the newest items in stock at Antique Sound Workshop. All items are in reverse chronological order, so the most recent items are listed first.
Carlton's Clearance Corner
- This link will take you directly to our current inventory of pre-owned, demonstration, imperfect, discontinued, overstocked, and closeout recorders and other historical instruments.
ASW Web Site Search Engine
- If you are looking for something very specific, rather than just browsing, our new and powerful site-wide search engine will find every mention of it for you in just a few seconds.
- We have listed the contents of all back issues of our customer newsmagazine for the last ten years it was published. Copies of some back issues may still be ordered from us, but many are sold out and no longer available. At the request of many of our customers, we have begun making available on our website a few selected articles and editorials from those back issues that are now out of print. It is a slow and tedious process, but we will add to these republished articles as time permits.