What is Antique Sound Workshop?
- For over forty years, we have dedicated ourselves to improving the standard of recorder playing, one instrument at a time. This link will tell you everything (and quite possibly more than) you ever wanted to know about who we are and what we offer, as well as some information about our history, our publications, and our sales policies. If you can't find the answer here, there is always E-mail, telephone, fax, or [shudder] snail mail for the hopelessly retro.
Antique Sound Workshop Catalogue
- Our extensive on-line catalogue offers more than 800 different models of recorders and an equal number of other historical woodwind, brass, string, keyboard, and percussion instruments. Our sheet music catalogue contains more than 15,000 titles the last time we counted. Feel free to download and print out any specific catalogue pages in which you are interested. However, if you're looking for something specific or want advice or guidance, it might just be quicker if you call up and ask.
ASW Information Bulletins
- These bulletins will provide you with concise, detailed, and authoritative information on various aspects of the recorder and its playing technique. If you need a crash course in some specific subject, this is a good place to start. Beginners will want to read the first five bulletins in the order listed. If you have questions not answered here, feel free to call us, but do bear in mind H. L. Mencken's dictum: "For every complex question, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." To which we would add the corollary: "For every simple question, the only correct answer is long, complex, and detailed."
The Antique Sound Workshop Blog
Current News and Notices for Our Customers
Hal Leonard has just published a remarkable and quite inexpensive self-teaching method offering a intensive programmed course of instruction which allows any musician to develop a highly accurate sense of pitch recognition in just seven weeks of study. Adam Perlmutter's Perfect Pitch Method consists of a text book, three CDs, and additional on-line audio resources as well. We highly recommend this well-written, pedagogically-sound, and extremely useful course of self-instruction to all beginning, intermediate, and advanced level players who wish to develop and improve their sense of intonation, pitch recognition, and overall musicianship with a modest amount of effort in just a very short period of time.
Yamaha has just released the first addition to their series of plastic recorders in almost twenty years: their new 400 Series Plastic Recorders are identical in acoustical design to their present 300 series, but the new models are being made of a new composite material named Ecodear, which consists of 70% ABS plastic resin and 30% plant-based resin -- all previous models have been made of 100% ABS plastic. These new instruments are yellow in color and similar to boxwood in appearance, with white imitation ivory trim similar to that in the 300 series instruments. In addition to being more ecologically friendly, the new recorders have a tone quality that is somewhat more like a wooden recorder. The first instrument in this new series, the Model 402B soprano, is now in stock at ASW and is priced in between the original brown plastic YRS-302B and the newer woodgrain-finish YRS-312B and YRS-314B models.
We ask that all orders for plastic recorders, accessories, and/or sheet music be placed using our ASW Order Form. This will enable us to process and fill your order much more quickly and efficiently. Credit card information may be safely left on our office answering machine outside of our regular business hours if desired; please include your name and your credit card's number and expiration date. Because of the great volume of orders for our custom-tuned plastic recorders, we are not able to accept telephone orders for or answer calls about these items if we are also to continue to provide time-consuming custom service for such inexpensive items; they are what they are. We must ask for your cooperation and understanding in this regard.
We are very sorry to inform our customers that we will be facing a shortage of our best-selling Huber Model II tenor recorders for the next three months. We are almost sold out of these very popular instruments, and Huber has informed us that they will not be able to supply us with any additional Model II tenors until mid-April at the earliest. We will be accepting backorders for future delivery, and the backorders will be filled strictly in the order received. Thank you for your understanding.
UPS has increased its ground and air shipping rates an average of 4.9% for 2015, effective December 29th, 2014. All UPS Ground Service packages are now subject to dimensional weight charges as well, just as their air shipments have been for the past several years. Effective December 25th, 2014, we will pay UPS Ground Shipping costs for all domestic orders over $150, but orders totaling less than that amount will be billed for shipping at the new 2015 prices.
We have undertaken the sale of a very large and comprehensive estate collection of several hundred recorders, historical woodwind, brass, and string instruments. Included are recorders by Fehr, Huber, Küng, Mollenhauer, Roessler, Adler-Heinrich, Moeck, Hopf, Blezinger, and many other makers, as well as historical woodwind instruments by Körber, Moeck, Hanchet, Wood, and Sweet, cornetts by Christopher Monk, Moeck, and Kđrber, brass instruments by Dotzauer, and string instruments by Ellis, Folkcraft, and Kelischeck -- this is only a partial listing. Most of these instruments are unused and in mint condition. Thus far, we have gotten the entire collection catalogued and priced, but it will take us several months to service all of the instruments in our workshop and have them ready for delivery. The first of these instruments are already listed for sale in Carlton's Clearance Corner. Customers are welcome to inquire about specific instruments or sets of instruments in which they might be interested. We will be happy to reserve and take advance orders for any instruments from this important collection. Pre-ordered instruments will be prioritized for service and delivery. Update: a second group of fifty instruments has just been added to the listings.
New from the Gerhard Huber workshop in Switzerland are three extremely inexpensive historical woodwind instruments: two transverse flutes and a chalumeau. These well-designed and impeccably-crafted instruments represent this maker's first expansion into woodwind instruments other than recorders and are ideal choices for recorder players wanting to expand their musical horizons to historical flutes and clarinets –– and at a bargain price as well.
We have just added a large selection of high-quality, hand-crafted wind chimes by Music of the Spheres to our catalogue. Made here in the United States, these fine musical instruments are available in over fifty models; there are five standard sizes, each of which is available in ten different tunings, plus several additional specialized models in single tunings. Please see What's New at Antique Sound Workshop? for our detailed comments on these new items.
We have recently changed credit card processors and are now able to accept a complete selection of credit cards for payment: in addition to VISA and MasterCard, we now also accept payment by Discover, Diners Club, JCB, and American Express. Please also note that we no longer are required to submit the three-digit CCV code for VISA transactions. Our ASW Order Form has been updated to accommodate these additional possibilities for payment. As always, we ask that customers please submit their orders using our on-line order form, so that we may fill your order as expeditiously as possible.
Customers placing orders via our on-line ASW Order Form and requesting shipping via UPS Ground, Air, or International services will automatically receive detailed shipping, tracking, and delivery information via E-mail. Any delivery delays caused by adverse weather conditions or other problems will also be rescheduled and reported. If you wish to have us send this information to multiple E-mail addresses, simply provide the additional addresses in the information box at the bottom of the order form. Orders placed by phone, fax, or E-mail must be processed manually, which causes more delay in processing and shipping and does not allow for automatic confirmation and shipping notification.
We endeavor to confirm all orders and answer all inquiries promptly. A few customers have reported that they did not receive our order confirmations or shipping notifications, apparently due to overly-aggressive spam filtration by their Internet Service Provider or E-mail client. Please be certain that aswltd.com and ups.com are trusted domains in your server and personal E-mail security settings if you wish to insure that you will receive our communications. We apologize for not being able to provide personal IT support to our customers and ask for your understanding in that regard.
ASW Staff E-Mail Addresses
- In order to serve you more efficiently, each member of our staff now has his or her own E-mail address. Our ASW staff directory provides you with quick and easy-to-use E-mail reply forms.
How to Place Your Order
- If you want to "cut to the chase" and place an order now, go to our ASW Order Form. If you want to send us an order by E-mail, please contact our Sales Department at email@example.com. You may also call, fax, or write us.
What's New at Antique Sound Workshop?
- You will find here direct links to the newest items in stock at Antique Sound Workshop. All items are in reverse chronological order, so the most recent items are listed first.
Carlton's Clearance Corner
- This link will take you directly to our current inventory of pre-owned, demonstration, imperfect, discontinued, overstocked, and closeout recorders and other historical instruments.
ASW Web Site Search Engine
- If you are looking for something very specific, rather than just browsing, our new and powerful site-wide search engine will find every mention of it for you in just a few seconds.
- We have listed the contents of all back issues of our customer newsmagazine for the last ten years it was published. Copies of some back issues may still be ordered from us, but many are sold out and no longer available. At the request of many of our customers, we have begun making available on our website a few selected articles and editorials from those back issues that are now out of print. It is a slow and tedious process, but we will add to these republished articles as time permits.
Copyright, Antique Sound Workshop, Ltd., 2015. All rights reserved.