What is Antique Sound Workshop?
- For over forty years, we have dedicated ourselves to improving the standard of recorder playing, one instrument at a time. This link will tell you everything (and quite possibly more than) you ever wanted to know about who we are and what we offer, as well as some information about our history, our publications, and our sales policies. If you can't find the answer here, there is always E-mail, telephone, fax, or [shudder] snail mail for the hopelessly retro.
Antique Sound Workshop Catalogue
- Our extensive on-line catalogue offers more than 800 different models of recorders and an equal number of other historical woodwind, brass, string, keyboard, and percussion instruments. Our sheet music catalogue contains more than 15,000 titles the last time we counted. Feel free to download and print out any specific catalogue pages in which you are interested. However, if you're looking for something specific or want advice or guidance, it might just be quicker if you call up and ask.
ASW Information Bulletins
- These bulletins will provide you with concise, detailed, and authoritative information on various aspects of the recorder and its playing technique. If you need a crash course in some specific subject, this is a good place to start. Beginners will want to read the first five bulletins in the order listed. If you have questions not answered here, feel free to call us, but do bear in mind H. L. Mencken's dictum: "For every complex question, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." To which we would add the corollary: "For every simple question, the only correct answer is long, complex, and detailed."
The Antique Sound Workshop Blog
Current News and Notices for Our Customers
We are pleased to announce the imminent availability of the all-new Zen-On Model G-1A Bressan copy baroque reproduction alto recorder. This fine instrument is, quite simply, the best plastic recorder we have ever played, and we are giving it our highest recommendation for customers seeking the best quality plastic alto recorder currently available. We fully expect that it will be become our best-selling plastic alto recorder in a very short period of time. Large quantities of this model are presently en route to us from Japan, and we are now accepting preorders for this instrument via our ASW Order Form, with deliveries beginning in December of this year. We are not able to accept telephone or E-mail orders for this instrument, nor can we answer individual inquiries about them. Additional design information is available here on our website. We are able to service just a few instruments each day and need to spend all available time getting these instruments tuned and ready for delivery. We thank all our customers for their kind understanding and patience in awaiting delivery.
UPS has increased its ground and air shipping rates an average of 4.9% for 2017, effective as of December 26th, 2016. All UPS Ground and Air packages have been subject to dimensional weight charges for the past several years, but the dimensions triggering those higher rates have been reduced for this year, making all but the smallest packages appreciably more expensive to ship than in the past. We pack all orders very carefully in order to minimize the cost to our customers and charge only the amount that UPS charges us for their services -- we do not pad shipping charges as is frequently done by other mail order merchants. Effective January 1, 2017 we are providing free UPS Ground Shipping for all domestic orders that total over $250 to the 48 continguous states, but domestic orders totaling less than that amount and all international orders will be billed for shipping at the new 2017 rates.
We have recently received two excellent new anthologies of renaissance pieces for soprano recorder and keyboard with an accompanying CD. These publications are welcome additions to the earlier series of four previous publications of baroque music with accompanying CD recording from the same publisher that have been available for several years. The format is identical to the earlier releases: each volume contains 32 well-chosen pieces for soprano recorder complemented by pedagogically and historically sound performance practice suggestions in three languages, and the CD provides recordings of both just the keyboard accompaniment and a complete finished performance by solo instrument and keyboard. These volumes provide a substantial amount of music and excellent professional instruction at the same bargain price as the earlier four releases. They are a must-have for all intermediate level soprano recorder players, but especially for those who do not have access to or cannot afford a professional artist-teacher.
We are pleased to announce that, after an absence of several years from the American market caused by the demise of the maker's former American distributor, we are once again able to offer Zen-On plastic and wooden recorders to our customers. Even better news, we are able to offer these instruments at prices that are up to more than 30% lower than their previous American list prices, making them easily among the most affordable of high quality plastic and wooden recorders currently available. The wood-grain finish Stanesby Jr. soprano and Bressan alto recorders, as well as their wooden greatbass recorder, are no longer available. The good news, however, is that their other wooden recorders from sopranino to bass have been recently redesigned and are now substantially better in tone quality, intonation, and response than the older models. Thanks to a special pricing agreement with the maker, the Zen-On cherrywood keyed tenor and the direct blow and bocal blow bass recorders, both of which now have curved windways, are less expensive than those currently available from European makers and are now an outstanding value. The Stanesby, Jr. and Bressan baroque plastic models are now in stock in large quantity for immediate delivery. The wooden models are in stock in limited quantity at the moment, but we will have more on the way soon.
Hal Leonard has just published a remarkable and quite inexpensive self-teaching method offering a intensive programmed course of instruction which allows any musician to develop a highly accurate sense of pitch recognition in just seven weeks of study. Adam Perlmutter's Perfect Pitch Method consists of a text book, three CDs, and additional on-line audio resources as well. We highly recommend this well-written, pedagogically-sound, and extremely useful course of self-instruction to all beginning, intermediate, and advanced level players who wish to develop and improve their sense of intonation, pitch recognition, and overall musicianship with a modest amount of effort in just a very short period of time.
In 2016 Yamaha released the first additions to their series of plastic recorders in almost twenty years: their new 400 Series Plastic Recorders are identical in acoustical design to their present 300 series, but the new models are being made of a new composite material named Ecodear, which consists of 70% ABS plastic resin and 30% plant-based resin -- all previous models have been made of 100% ABS plastic. These new instruments are yellow in color and similar to boxwood in appearance, with white imitation ivory trim similar to that in the 300 series instruments. In addition to being more ecologically friendly, the new recorders have a more covered, warmer tone quality that some customers feel is more like a wooden recorder. The Ecodear soprano and alto recorders are now in stock at ASW and are priced in between the original brown plastic YRS-302B and YRA-302B instruments and the newer woodgrain-finish YRS-312B, YRS-314B, YRA-312B, and YRA-314B models.
We have undertaken the sale of a very large and comprehensive estate collection of several hundred recorders, historical woodwind, brass, and string instruments. Included are recorders by Fehr, Huber, Küng, Mollenhauer, Roessler, Adler-Heinrich, Moeck, Hopf, Blezinger, and many other makers, as well as historical woodwind instruments by Körber, Moeck, Hanchet, Wood, and Sweet, cornetts by Christopher Monk, Moeck, and Kđrber, brass instruments by Dotzauer, and string instruments by Ellis, Folkcraft, and Kelischeck -- this is only a partial listing. Most of these instruments are unused and in mint condition. Thus far, we have gotten the entire collection catalogued and priced, but it will take us several months to service all of the instruments in our workshop and have them ready for delivery. The first of these instruments are already listed for sale in Carlton's Clearance Corner. Customers are welcome to inquire about specific instruments or sets of instruments in which they might be interested. Update: a second group of fifty instruments has just been added to the listings. Further update: a third group of instruments, including vintage Fehr II and Küng II recorders, has now been posted to our listings of these instruments.
We are able to accept a complete selection of credit cards for payment: in addition to VISA and MasterCard, we now also accept payment by Discover, Diners Club, JCB, and American Express. Please also note that we no longer are required to submit the three-digit CCV code for VISA transactions. Our ASW Order Form has been updated to accommodate these additional possibilities for payment. As always, we ask that customers please submit their orders using our on-line order form, so that we may fill your order as expeditiously as possible.
We ask that all orders for plastic recorders, accessories, and/or sheet music be placed using our ASW Order Form. This will enable us to process and fill your order much more quickly and efficiently. Credit card information may be safely left on our office answering machine outside of our regular business hours if desired; please include your name and your credit card's number and expiration date. Because of the great volume of orders for our custom-tuned plastic recorders, we are not able to accept telephone orders for or answer calls about these items if we are also to continue to provide time-consuming custom service for such inexpensive items; they are what they are. We must ask for your cooperation and understanding in this regard.
Customers placing orders via our on-line ASW Order Form and requesting shipping via UPS Ground, Air, or International services will automatically receive detailed shipping, tracking, and delivery information via E-mail. Any delivery delays caused by adverse weather conditions or other problems will also be rescheduled and reported. If you wish to have us send this information to multiple E-mail addresses, simply provide the additional addresses in the information box at the bottom of the order form. Orders placed by phone, fax, or E-mail must be processed manually, which causes more delay in processing and shipping and does not allow for automatic confirmation and shipping notification.
We endeavor to confirm all orders and answer all inquiries promptly. A few customers have reported that they did not receive our order confirmations or shipping notifications, apparently due to overly-aggressive spam filtration by their Internet Service Provider or E-mail client. Please be certain that aswltd.com and ups.com are trusted domains in your server and personal E-mail security settings if you wish to insure that you will receive our communications. We apologize for not being able to provide personal IT support to our customers and ask for your understanding in that regard.
ASW Staff E-Mail Addresses
- In order to serve you more efficiently, each member of our staff now has his or her own E-mail address. Our ASW staff directory provides you with quick and easy-to-use E-mail reply forms.
How to Place Your Order
- If you want to "cut to the chase" and place an order now, go to our ASW Order Form. If you want to send us an order by E-mail, please contact our Sales Department at email@example.com. You may also call, fax, or write us.
What's New at Antique Sound Workshop?
- You will find here direct links to the newest items in stock at Antique Sound Workshop. All items are in reverse chronological order, so the most recent items are listed first.
Carlton's Clearance Corner
- This link will take you directly to our current inventory of pre-owned, demonstration, imperfect, discontinued, overstocked, and closeout recorders and other historical instruments.
ASW Web Site Search Engine
- If you are looking for something very specific, rather than just browsing, our new and powerful site-wide search engine will find every mention of it for you in just a few seconds.
- We have listed the contents of all back issues of our customer newsmagazine for the last ten years it was published. Copies of some back issues may still be ordered from us, but many are sold out and no longer available. At the request of many of our customers, we have begun making available on our website a few selected articles and editorials from those back issues that are now out of print. It is a slow and tedious process, but we will add to these republished articles as time permits.
Copyright, Antique Sound Workshop, Ltd., 2017. All rights reserved.